Call Us: (513) 725-5525

Additional Family Law Services

Preparing to adopt a child can be one of the most exciting and wonderful times in a family or couple’s life. If you have chosen to adopt, we can help. Adoption, although a joyous occasion, can also be filled with complicated laws and stressful, time consuming steps. You don’t have to go through it alone! At Berry & Karl, LLC, we are experienced in all forms of adoption and will work with you to support and meet the needs of your growing family. We will help you understand Ohio and Northern Kentucky laws regarding adoption. We’re in this together, so you don’t have to feel alone.

Forms of Adoption

When thinking adoption, most people think of “traditional” adoptions, such as those completed through an international agency. However, the reality is that adoption can take a variety of forms. While the latter may fit one family’s situation, your case, in fact, may look nothing like what the average person considers a traditional adoption. Whichever your case, let the Berry & Karl, LLC walk you through it. If you are:

  • A step-parent looking to adopt your step-child
  • A same-sex couple looking to adopt a child
  • A couple or family seeking to adopt your foster child
  • A couple or family seeking to adopt privately, such as through a family member or friend
  • A person or couple with custody of a non-biological child seeking to adopt the child
  • An adoptive parent or couple seeking a re-adoption in their home state

We are here for you! We will represent you and your family fully, do our best to answer your questions, putting your fears and anxiety to rest. You may be wondering, for example:

  • What your financial obligations will be in the adoption process
  • Who the birth parents are and what are their medical histories
  • What happens if a biological parent attempts to challenge an adoption
  • Is a biological parent’s consent necessary for me to adopt

You will no doubt have many more questions than are listed here. Rest assured we will work hard to provide you with answers, while still respecting the rights of all parties involved.

No one enters a marriage expecting a separation, death, or divorce. Unfortunately, though, these things can, and do, happen. Most people would rather not think about them, and a lot of people choose not to, ignoring the potentially negative or tragic to focus only on the good. While this certainly makes sense from an emotional point of view, it can also have potentially devastating consequences, such as the loss of financial stability, an inheritance, or property, for either yourself or your children. By taking the time to create a prenuptial agreement, together we can protect your and your family’s future from unexpected loss.

What is a prenuptial agreement?

A prenuptial agreement is a legal way to ensure you and your family will be taken care of if the unexpected should occur. Creating a prenuptial agreement will allow you and your spouse to determine which property and assets should, and should not, be considered marital property before entering the marriage. In the event of separation, death, or divorce, you can rest assured that those items that are not marital property will remain exempt from unfair or inaccurate distribution. This is especially critical when another marriage occurs following a separation, death, or divorce, and involves children (i.e. heirs) from previous marriage.

A prenuptial agreement can also protect you from your spouse’s financial troubles, if any should exist, such as debts or bankruptcy. With an agreement in place, your finances and those of your spouse will not become tangled and cause you unjust harm.

What can a prenuptial agreement protect?

In short, prenuptial agreements can help you determine how best to engage with the following issues, which often crop up during or after a separation, death, or divorce:

  • The division of marital property
  • Ownership of property
  • Distribution of trust funds
  • Tax obligations
  • Inheritance distribution
  • Life insurance distribution
  • Business rights and ownership, including intellectual property rights
  • Alimony payments
  • Retirement accounts and distribution

Domestic Violence cases in Ohio may be pursued in the General Division of Court of Common Pleas as a criminal case when the perpetrator is a non-family member. This is commonly known as a Temporary Restraining Order. When the domestic violence involves a family or household member, the case is heard by the Domestic Relations Division of the Court of Common Pleas and is commonly referred to as a Civil Protection Order. The Legislature in Ohio more recently expanded the domestic violence code to allow persons who were in a “dating relationship” to have standing to pursue a Civil Protection Order.

Whether you are a victim or the alleged perpetrator of domestic violence, it is extremely important that you retain experienced counsel to assist you throughout the process. It is not uncommon for the alleged perpetrator to be displaced from his\her home, separated from their children, and stripped of their freedom based upon the ex-parte hearsay testimony of the victim.

If you have been accused of domestic violence, you are entitled to an expedited hearing within 10 days of the issuance of the ex-parte order. There are severe penalties and consequences to a conviction or finding of domestic violence including loss of the right to possess a firearm, significant consequences to your parenting rights and the inability to expunge a conviction from your record.

Please contact Berry & Karl, LLC with any additional questions regarding domestic violence. The lawyers at Berry & Karl, LLC are available 24 hours a day to assist you.

What are your rights as a grandparent? Do you have any rights as a grandparent? In certain circumstances you may have companionship rights. The attorneys at Berry & Karl, LLC can help you navigate this difficult area. The Courts still recognize the parents’ ability to make the determination if there is still an intact marriage. However, if there has been a divorce, one of the parents have passed away, or the parents were never married and there has been court involved with support or custody, you may have rights. Please contact Berry & Karl, LLC to assist you in obtaining these rights.